Monday, May 4, 2009

Planning

After discussions with many of you, I think it's best if we choose a single target right now (two at the most). It will make a bigger impact to send all of our letters to one person than sending a few letters to many people. I was originally thinking Oprah, but according to Oprah.com she no longer accepts unsolicited mail. So, we need to choose someone else. Another option would be on June 15, when we send out our envelopes, we ALL send a show idea on Oprah's website to this link: https://www.oprah.com/ord/plugform.jsp?plugId=216. I know many of us have written her before, but if we all do it on the same day, maybe someone will take notice.

So...who's the celeb target? The Associated Press has a mailing address, so that's an option. I looked into ABC News (Good Morning America; 20/20) and they do not accept unsolicited ideas and materials. I also have a mailing address for Ellen DeGeneres.

While you are at it, if you want to drop them off in your local community (churches, schools, OB offices, small hospitals, etc.) go ahead! Get the word out there!!

Also, someone suggested that we all contact our local news outlets now and inform them of the project. It would be great to get some coverage prior to the event. I am planning to send our local newspaper an email and include the link to this site plus the letter I'm writing for this project. If you have a personal website/blog or one you are vested in, include it so they can get a personal sense of the effect CDH has on families. Since I'm in NC, I have the information for the News & Observer if any NC families are interested:
The News & Observer
215 South McDowell StreetP.O. Box 191
Raleigh, NC 27602
Main: (919) 829-4500
Customer Service: (800) 522-4205

I would love for each of you participating in this project to take photos of you preparing/mailing your envelopes. Send them to me at heelsgirl2001@yahoo.com and I will post all of them here (with a link to the website you choose to highlight if you'd like).

Don't forget to vote on your favorite one-liners in the poll.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wait.. I just saw Ellen at the bottom and I think that is a good one. Quite a few of her shows are human interest. Also, it says June 15th in the post... is it June or July?
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I just wanted to mention something. Postage stamps go up in price next Monday. You can still purchase the Forever stamps at the current rate $.42 but use them after the price increases. So with all these envelopes it may pay off to purchase your stampes this week.

    Also i think Ellen would be a good candidate. Lots of people watch her show. Plus I'm sure even Oprah or at least her produces know what is happening on Ellen. So if Ellen mentions this on her show or something it may spread to the others. Expecially if we all post a idea of a oprah show that day and mention that we are sending them to Ellen.

    ReplyDelete