Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Beginning...

If you are here, you have probably been redirected from our personal blog.

Here's the original post:

Apparently a lot of people agree with the "Angry" post and we got lots of ideas. I was thinking, you know how the Pro-life supporters recently began "Life/Red Envelope Project" where they send empty red envelopes to President Obama?? Why can't everyone in the CDH community pick a celebrity or someone who can help us get the word out and bring attention to the cause and pick a day to send them turquoise envelopes. We can have a standard message on the back like "half of all babies diagnosed with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia die" or include a letter about your story, your support, etc. Maybe even include a photo of the child you represent. Include a listing of blogs and ask for their support. We can send them to all the national newspapers, the AP, CNN, Fox News, etc. You don't need to be affiliated with one single CDH group to do this. It would be a way for EVERYONE to come together and do something TOGETHER for the single cause. You can participate even if you're not a parent or family member--if someone's story has touched you, just send an empty turquoise envelope with a message written on the back.If we come to an agreement on a single date to send these, we can inundate our targets with turquoise mail and maybe catch someone's attention.Let me know what you think. heelsgirl2001@yahoo.comI started a separate blog to keep up with the details and suggestions where we can all have a central place to go. It's still a work in progress. If you want your blog or Carepage or webpage or cause added to the list, please email me at the above email and I'll gladly add it. If you don't contact me, I won't add it only because I don't want to assume your participation. I hope this will be a project we can all collaborate on together.

5 comments:

  1. Kellie, when the show the Doctor's first came out I sent a message on their website with question of how can we educate more on CDH. It's a show that is not only shown in the US but up here in Canada as well. If we bombarded them with information, maybe they could do a show strictly on CDH??!! They never got back to me, and I didn't want my 'question' to be a 15 second blerb either. I also didn't want it sugar coated the way that these other networks that have used CDH in their episodes have made it like it's not that serious. When we all know it is. Anyways, that's just an idea to include the Canada side of things??!! Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have previously emailed several different shows. I like the idea of all the turquoise envelopes. If you need help organizing this, I am willing to do whatever. As far as when to do it, I am not sure. I do think picking a day to mail them all is a great idea. I would think they will notice a bunch of turquoise envelops all on one/two days!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a place on Oprah's website to suggest topics for shows. I put in a submission, referencing your blog, about CDH. If they get enough CDH suggestions, maybe they'll take action. Good luck!

    http://www.oprah.com/contactus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kellie, we will gladly help support you guys, and will take part in the mailing in honor of Carter! I'll keep following this blog as well for information on when.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! This is a great idea. I have been wondering how more people can be educated and also where to start.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete